Jan 26, 2010

Measuring Up

Tonight I decided to make something for dinner called "Cheesy Chicken". Cheesy Chicken is a recipe of Brian's sister. When the family travels to the beach for their yearly vacation...it is always a request of the family for Lauren to make her famous dish. I personally have never had it... but decided that tonight I would attempt it.

Upon taking out all the ingredients, I decided not to make it according to her recipe, but to make it my own. This was not because the original recipe didn't sound great...but because I didn't want to end up in a fight with Brian! Knowing that the only Cheesy Chicken he had ever had was his sister's...and I would probably not make it the same!

I attempted to make his mother's famous Broccoli Casserole a few months ago...and those who were at the table during dinner would say it's our "ever famous fight". There we were... arguing in front of our closest friends because he told me that I needed to use less mayonnaise next time I made it. Right then and there I declared I was never going to attempt another one of Gail's recipes! I've officially messed up her brown rice and her broccoli casserole and swear to never cook them again!

I have to say... my creation tonight was de-lish! I'm going to call it... "In Sickness and Health, Curry Chicken Pot Pie" ... the name is because since our return from our honeymoon, I've been taking care of my sick husband! I sure hope tonight's meal is his turnaround point...and he's on the road to recovery!

So without further adieu...

"In Sickness and In Health, Curry Chicken Pot Pie"
Serves: 2-4
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Temperature: 350 degrees

2-3 Boneless Chicken Breast
1 Bag of Frozen Broccoli Florets or Pieces
2 Cups of Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Milk (I used Skim)
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream (I used Low Fat)
1 Can Crescent Rolls (I used Reduced Fat)
Curry Powder (to taste)
Chicken Bouillon (optional)
Salt and Pepper


Cut Chicken into pieces and either boil until cooked or put in a pan and brown with Chicken Bouillon, Salt and Pepper. (I think it tastes better when you brown it in the pan). During the time the chicken is cooking, boil your broccoli according the package directions and drain after done. Combine broccoli in the pan with the chicken and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Allow to melt.

Place mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Open can of Crescent Rolls and take apart. Place all over the top of the chicken/broccoli mixture (leaving spaces so sauce can get down into the bottom of the dish).

In pan where you cooked chicken, over medium heat, mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 2 T of Sour Cream, 1 Cup of Cheese, 1 Cup of Milk, Curry Powder, Salt and Pepper until cheese has melted and becomes like a sauce.

Pour Sauce over top of Crescent Rolls.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until brown and bubbly.


Here is what It should Look Like:




Brian really liked it...but he LOVES anything with Curry...so I knew I was going to be hitting a home run with this one! (it's very similar to Chicken Divan...but easier)

Sorry Lauren for not making your recipe...but now that means you can make it for me! :)

Note to the women reading this blog: Don't make something his Mama has made for him his whole life....you end up fighting over silly things like Mayonnaise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment