Jan 4, 2010

In Honor...

I come from a LONG line of cooks... they were never chefs and they never claimed to be. But what they are...are true Southern people who express their love through food.

In my lifetime, I've been privileged to watch two amazing women stand over a stove and create some of the best meals I've ever put in my mouth. Though one is deceased and the other isn't able to cook anymore...I still live through those memories. Every time I step into my kitchen a rush of my childhood returns.

In honor of the fact that I'm getting married next week... I thought I'd share a funny quick story with you. Those of you know my mother know, that she doesn't cook! She doesn't cook, because she doesn't have too! I have a Dad who steps into the kitchen and whips up a meal in no time flat! Mom made us a cookbook years ago and included in it was a recipe titled, "How to Catch A Husband Chicken Divan!" .... she claims it was the meal that she made for my Dad right before they became engaged over 30 years ago!.... So with that being said... a few years ago I adapted the recipe and created a version of it for Brian.... and needless to say... I will be passing down my recipe to our daughter one day with the same note... because I swear It's One of the ways I got him to Fall Hook Line and Sinker for me!

So In honor of My Wedding next week... Here is my Recipe for the New Version of ...

"How to Catch a Husband Chicken Divan!"
Recipe From: Paula Deen
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped
  • 6 cups shredded chicken, cooked
  • 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the outer wrappers from the boxes of broccoli. Open 1 end of each box. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed. Drain the broccoli and put into a casserole dish. Add the shredded chicken.

In a medium bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, Cheddar, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper, to taste, and wine. Whisk together to make a sauce. Pour the sauce over the broccoli and chicken. Mix well with a spatula.

Place the mixture into an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish or 2 (9-inch) square disposable aluminum foil pans that have been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula. Combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the top.

Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment